Monday 19 March 2012

Life of An Intern

As most people probably know, if you want to boost your career to high levels in the field of translation and interpretation, the best thing is to have a study or working experience abroad and then get a job there, if you are lucky enough to meet the right person at the right time and at the right place. I completed my studies two years ago in Italy and I am currently working as an intern in a translation agency in London, after having had a similar experience last year in Spain.



As most people who moved abroad probably know, getting used to another country implies becoming familiar to different customs, a different life style and a different language that you believe to know and that you are supposed to have a perfect knowledge of, but in most cases things are not as simple as someone could assume.  Living in a different country, not mentioning working in a different environment might sound like an easy thing, but it isn’t.

 The second week of my internship as a “would be project manager” has come to an end and now I’m a little bit more confident about what I have to do, but I can assure you that the first days I was pretty worried because I didn’t want to say or to do anything wrong. Working as an intern is notoriously hard and it is never easy to get used to a new environment, to new people you don’t know anything about, especially if you are supposed to work in a big, busy Translationagency London where you think no one really will have any time for you.
Fortunately, there’s an exception to every rule.  The way people work in Translation Services 24 is stimulating and enjoyable. They are very empathetic to me and my “boss”, besides being very professional at his job, is really willing to teach me and he is the most patient person I have ever met in my life. I’m very eager to start a career in this field and I’m sure that in some weeks, besides sending emails, I will be able to work fluently within the team and I won’t be panicked to answer the phone...maybe.J My current experience with the Translation services London provider has been exceptional stepping stone in my career. 

No comments: